Thursday 25 August 2011

Listowel Connection

This is the scene today in Listowel. Minister for Heritage, Tourism and The Gaeltacht, Jimmy Deenihan officially launched an exhibition of photographs and memorabilia related to the work of Listowel's famous stucco artist, Pat McAuliffe. This is appropriate for my first post on this blog because it marries the old and the new.
What I intend to do with this blog is to post news from Listowel along with some of my photos and every now and again to post some old stories, anecdotes and anything else I find interesting.

For whom am I blogging?
Mainly the Listowel diaspora but really for anyone with an interest in Listowel.

While on the subject of the diaspora I have to here plug our new community organisation, North Kerry Reaching Out. This is a local history, genealogy and tourism venture. We hope to reach out to people everywhere with any link to North Kerry. We will help people as best we can to research their family tree. We hope to set up a website with lots of local news and lore and then.... we hope to organise A Week of Welcomes when some of our new friends would come to North Kerry and we would lay on a programme of entertainment for them.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mary. This, too, will keep us connected w/ Listowel.
    Idea re Week of Welcome wondeful. Perhaps, just before or after Writers' Week or Listowel Race Week ?.Then the returned departed [ the diaspora ] could enjoy eirher a week of culture OR, of horse racing, while renewing their connection with Listowel.
    I will follow this blogspot avidly. Marty Sheehy, Phoenix, AZ. 8/25/2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of this, Mary! I miss you all back in Listowel. I am very happy to follow your blog. All of my best to you.

    Love,
    ThuyKha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation, I hope of works

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you anything on the Bandsroom in the 70s

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will make enquiries. Will you share what you know and I'll try to find out anything I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bandsroom was the best club in Ireland. Here the youth of the town mixed comfortably with adults, many of whom were their parents.
    The adults played solo and bridge while the young lads played poker, pontoon and billiards.Snooker was not popular at that time. I think we paid a shilling a week for membership. Open to correction on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael Costello that built the Band Room in 1893
    does anyone know more about this family.
    Mrs Costello ran a pub at 23 church st in the twenties wondering if they were related?

    Robert Rcorridan@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I remember John Murphy the tailor was the caretaker.
    A game of snooker cost 4p.
    The highlights of the week were "The Monkeys"and "The Fugitive"

    ReplyDelete
  9. mary,the class photo should be 1948 instead of 1968.My brother Marty is 6th. from left in the 2nd.row.Have not seen most of them in nearly 50 yrs.even though their is only 2yrs.difference.Could name some but Vincent would probably know them all.Enjoy the blog greatly.Keep up with the photos.Happy New Year to all in Listowel.

    ReplyDelete